Pages

Saturday 14 September 2013

Film review: How to Marry a Millionaire

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIREOn a rainy Saturday evening there are few things better than sitting down with a good movie.
This Saturdays film was
How to Marry a Millionaire.
I'm ashamed to say that although iconic I had never seen this movie. I know....please don't throw too many things at me!

The movie, if you aren't familier, is about 3 woman who decide to find the perfect rich husbands after little success with poor fellows.
The films cast is fantastic: Marilyn Monroe (of course)
Lauren Bacall
and
Betty Grable
How To Marry A Millionaire

The clothes alone are worth watching this movie for. Marilyn's tight fitting dresses (including my favourite costume of the film ) are perfect and encompase the era perfectly.


The film starts with a full orchestra playing for 5 minutes. Even on a small laptop it was easy to feel that I was in a real orchestra with the fixed camera and the long intro.

The film then shows the three woman on a kind of crazy mission to bag a rich guy. The movie is filled with crazy morals that I'm not sure would work in a modern movie but all is forgiven in movies from yonder year. It almost feels like you are getting a glimpse of the real era.

I especially liked the movies portal of Saudi Arabia in Marilyn dream, I've lived in Saudi and I can promise you, its not like that! betty grable & marilyn monroe how to marry a millionaire 1953The 3 woman end up traveling around America only to discover that they would rather be happy than with a millionaire. (of course!)

Lauren Bacall is the only lady who is set to marry a Millionaire and complete her mission but she has to continuously fight off the attentions of a scaly wag David Wayne that seems to be as poor as they come.

In the end she stops her wedding to marry the man she loves, only to discover that he is infact the man of her dreams in more ways than one.

My favourite part of the film is Marilyn's fantastic comedy acting. She is meant to wear glasses but as we all know 'Woman in glasses don't get mens glances' heehee oh the 50's....how odd you were.How To Marry A Millionaire
Its a great rainy day movie and one i'd recommend. It does how ever make me want to put on my prettiest dress and run to the local (and only ) Jazz bar in Daegu for some wine and romantic times.

Fingers crossed this week I will get to live out that dream.

Thank you Lauren, Marilyn and Betty
You made my evening.
How To Marry A Millionaire

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear,

    I absolutely love that film. And I agree with you, that Marilyn's dress is the prettiest of the movie.
    It was long time I see it, thanks, you get me an idea =)

    Love,

    Paula.

    ReplyDelete